2014年12月12日星期五

Acient Green Technologies: Step 4

                                                                                                                                                           Yu 1

Agnes Yu

Period 7

World History 1

12 / 11 / 14


The Search:

  In class on Friday, I started Step 4 which is the process that record how much you spent time on this

and keep notes about the articles. I spent about 10 minutes on Friday to search the articles and I found

many of them that have good information.

  During the weekend at home we worked on this project as well, I started to do it on Sunday and I

spent about 25 minutes to gather all those information, some articles are hard for me to understand

thus I have to translate them into Chinese to help me understand more, and I worked on a little bit of

the powerpoint.

  On December 15th. I found more articles in class. I didn't post two books because I couldn't find 

books on the Amazon, so now I have 10 articles about this topic and today I am going to gather all

the information and finish my powerpoint, I am going to compare the water delivery system with

modern times as well to see how it benefits us today.

Articles and brief notes:

1: http://whyfiles.org/2010/plumbing-ancient-mayan-plumbing/

   Historians found the water pressure system in Mayan of the Palenque. The pipes go underground

and back up into home, where water flows under pressure. The pressurized pipes could have supplied

a fountain where people could dip jars to collect drinking water.

2: http://www.livescience.com/5959-ancient-mayans-fountains-toilets.htmlu

  Ancient Mayans might have known how to master running water, people were able to generate 

water pressure was previously thought to have begun with the arrival of the Spanish. 

The Mayan were not really great engineers but there buildings were relatively simple. 

3:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100504155421.htm

 Water pressure systems were previously thought to have entered the New World with the arrival of the Spanish.
 Because the Maya built the city in a constricted area in a break in an escarpment, inhabitants were unable to spread out.

It's the same ideas above it.

5: 
https://estratevents.wordpress.com/tag/the-application-of-renewable-energy-solutions-for-the-sustainable-water-delivery/

  These issues include the challenges facing farmers trying to operate water pumps in remote areas using standard diesel gensets, the use of solar PV to provide a reliable and cost-effective option for powering water pumps, and addressing the challenges in off-grid areas through PV solutions that help deliver water from deep well and surface sources.


6: http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/ancient-mayans-masters-of-water-pressure

ancient people built acqueduct structures that managed streams flowing through the landscape, rerouting the water to prevent erosion, help their agriculture, and manage water for the people living in the palace.


7: http://news.discovery.com/earth/mayan-plumbing-more-than-pipe-dream-pressurized-water-feature-discovered.htm

Similar broad ideas with the articles above.

8: http://summitcountyvoice.com/2010/05/05/ancient-maya-engineered-tunnels-to-pressurize-water/


the water may have supplied a fountain, or perhaps used to transport waste water away from the city.

9: http://www.uc.edu/news/nr.aspx?id=16067


Mayan people built a dam to store up. Because the droughts were happened sometimes.

10: 
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/solving-cities/how-ancient-mayan-cities-dealt-with-drought/
But the city didn't rely on rain falling directly into the huge dam.
Mayan water-management system helped to sustain a city for 1,500 years. Instead, they build slanted paved and plastered surfaces with canals that fed the larger reservoirs.


  By researching the information, I found articles that repeat for several times and not really include detailed 

information. And it took about 1 hour.

没有评论:

发表评论